The Mad Parson

As a matter of fact, yes, I do think irreverence is a spiritual gift.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Like Rumsfeld's second tour in Defense, my blog server picked a great time for glitches. Anyhoo.

All in all, too little, too late, in my estimation, concerning the State of the Union. The time for firing Rummy and sending in the cavalry was two years ago, not two months. I appreciate Mr Bush's courtesies, and his management of the economy (read: tax cuts); however, I remain unconvinced on the Iraq front, and the talk about global warming and federally-subsidized health care accounts are a bit much.

Mr Webb was simply philistine. He is far too taken with himself, and I am quite frankly embarrassed that he is the junior senator from Virginia. The Commonwealth deserves better, as do the poor viewers that had to endure him last night. First, he use of the English language is a tad boorish. How many metaphors did he mix, anyway? Second, he was flat wrong in his assessments. How can a senator indicate that the economy is going poorly when the middle class is larger than ever before, stocks continue to rise, inflation to continues to be in check, unemployment is at record lows, and tax revenues are at record highs? What's wrong with that picture? And, too, the statement that most of the military is against the war seems off to me. A majority of Congress is against the war; a majority of the populace is against the war; a majority of me is against the war. But there is no evidence--at least not any that I have seen or that Mr Webb referenced--to indicate the majority of the military is against the war. People are ill at Mr Bush for lying--no need to replicate the error, Mr Webb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter