The Mad Parson

As a matter of fact, yes, I do think irreverence is a spiritual gift.

Monday, January 08, 2007

I Prefer A Foil, Thank You, Or At Least An Epee

Statements like this one, it seems to me, fail two tests. One is the theology test. This attitude stems from the natural theology tack that what is revealed is what is intended. In other words, what we see is the way things ought to be. It doesn't take long to dispel that notion, however, for surely no one of any grace would say that Down's sydrome is that way things ought to be. Burkitt's lymphona are not the way things ought to be. The Darfur genocide is not the way things ought to be (if I can stretch a bit outside of genetics). The question should be asked: If homosexuality occurs in animals, is that a good thing, or is that a deviation? Assuming that simply because a trait shows up in animals is a good thing strikes me as naive, at best. After all, if this assertion is correct that male whales "penis fence" and only infrequently mate with females, perhaps that is why we now need bumper stickers that read "Save the Whales".

A second, and corollary, test that is failed is the common sense test. If homosexuality is so wonderfully natural, why doesn't the anus self-lubricate for penile penetration like the vagina does? It just doesn't make sense. I'm sure that this somehow makes me homophobic, but I simply don't find compelling evidence here that homosexuality is a good thing. It may be a natural thing, although on this mark I still remain unconvinced. But nature is fallen just as we humans are. Pointing out that something exists in nature doesn't make it a good thing. Thoughtful reflection, if not a casual observance, bear this out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter